Penghu County Chung-Shing English Village Project
- The Penghu County Chung-Shing English Village was built to enhance local students’ English ability and global competence.
- Students are encouraged to complete dynamic and static presentations in the village by experiencing a holistic English environment with mixed media. This enables students to learn English in different ways.
- Local students are encouraged to improve English proficiency utilizing the whole language method.
Village Layout: Students interact with the foreign teacher in a realistic English situation.
- Living Area
- The village is located on the second floor of the school overlooking the gymnasium.
- The central part is a hotel lobby and/or western living room.
- There is also a western kitchen, dining room, bedroom and bathroom.
- The environment feels like an authentic western house where students can interact with the foreign teacher in the house.
B. Shopping Area
1. The central station is a shopping mall including fresh vegetables, fruit, and snacks.
2. It contains a stationary shop, dive shop, sports shop, clothes and shoe store, display shelf and a check-out counter.
3. The environment looks like a real western shopping mall where students can
practice shopping with the teacher.
4. A bank and a post office completes the shopping mall.
Plan of manpower:
- Executive of the English village: Executive is responsible for the overall situation of the English village. The county course supervisor serves as executive currently.
- Chief of the English village: chief handles administrative management, including planning, carrying out and accessing the plan. The director of studies serves as chief currently.
- Officer of the English village: Officer deals with the management of the English village.
- Substitution Military Service Staff: Substitution Military Service Staff stand by and wait for the instructions from Executive, Chief, and Officer of English Village.
- Teaching staff
- One native English speaking teacher (John David McCluskey) is responsible for curriculum design, website admissions and teaching at the English Village.
- Four to six volunteers from the cooperative course of National Penghu University.
Objective: All middle and high grades primary school students in Penghu County. The amount of students is limited to fewer than 30.
Open Hour: Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 11:00, 14:00 to 16:00.
Description: With their English Village Passport, students are guided through stations under teachers’ instruction.
Payment: Entrance fee is free, but the school applying for an appointment has to pay its own transportation fee and insurance fee.
- Only advanced paper appointments are accepted. The appointment form is attached.
- Send a fax to 06-9276147 or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after filling out the form.
- Appointments have to be made 2 weeks before the scheduled visiting day and received according to time order.
- Administrators have the right to accept the application or deny it.
- Cancel appointments 3 days before the scheduled visiting day or the school’s appointment won’t be accepted next time. Tel: 06-9272779-3202
- Administrators have the right to inform the school applying for an appointment to cancel the appointment on special conditions, like a typhoon hitting, and so on.
- People in the English Village have to respect the administrators’ instruction, or the administrators have the right to keep them away from the Village.
- People in the English Village have to be responsible for their own safety.
- At least one teacher from the school applying for an appointment is required on the scene.
- There are introductions and lesson plans on the English Village website. It would be better for students to have previews. The website is http://18.104.22.168/english/.
- There are worksheets on the English Village website to be downed.
- Advanced Learning: Only people used to take part in the course of the English Village are allowed to apply for.
- Students with completed passports stamped at all the stations will get a certificate from the English Village and names will be announced on the website.
- Volunteers will receive testimonials with hours written from English Village. .
- Enhance local students’ English learning interests.
- Activate English teaching in Penghu County.
- Widen local students’ global view and improve their global competence.
- Local students can be inspired through multiple learning activities.
E. Build student’s confidence in speaking English in a real world scenario.